Thursday 5 July 2012

Update on the cabling & a few plans

That was some speedy delivery from satcure.co.uk! I ordered the 30 meter WF100 Coaxial cable yesterday, and it arrived around 1PM today.

I gave it a good test and it successfully works with the Tivo box!

I've also now ordered the networking supplies. I did plan on going with Cat6 but the only speed back to the house that I'll really need is going to be for the internet connection. I cant see Virgin Media giving us a free upgrade that takes us over 1gbps any time soon!

For the network connection I'm using a cat5e cable, which will terminate into a standard network wall socket in the shed. The plan is that this will then go into the back of a Netgear WNR2000 router (its the one we used for Virgin prior to them switching us over to the Superhub). This will then offer 5ghz wireless inside the shed, in addition to being hooked up to a gigabit 8 port network hub, simply because  wireless in our area is TERRIBLE due to some clever idiot at BT decided to have their routers bounce around different channels. I regularly find that every channel has at least 2 routers on it.

For the network supplies I went with an eBay supplier for a 50 meter outdoor grade cable (I dont need the full 50m so will cut it and have a good 15 meters spare for making internal cables). I also managed to get hold of a networking kit which included the punch, crimping and cutting tools.

The rj45 module and wall plates are coming from ToolStation.

The plan of things to do between now and next Friday (when the electrics are being fitted) is as follows:

  • Give the shed a clear out (I've been a bit messy with my offcuts, screws and tools!)
  • Clear space for the cables to be run to the shed
  • Seal around the roof facia boards to help reduce water dripping at the front and sides of the shed
  • Cut back the neighbours trees as they are making the shed roof constantly wet. 
  • Finish battening out the front (door/window) wall and insulate.
  • Touch up some paint on the outside
Most of this 'to-do list' is weather permitting!

I should really also be looking at interior stuff right now. I've got a folder on my desktop with a bunch of photos that I've picked up around the web of other peoples garden office interiors. My own goal is to make it a bright workspace, but not hospital-style white washed walls. So it'll be light walls, a laminate flooring (Although I have had my eye on some rather nice solid bamboo flooring with great insulation properties), etc. 

Any suggestions or inspiration ideas for the interior are welcome! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to read your excellent piece, which is full of fascinating information and, of course, is really valuable; I look forward to following your next post.

    Adding a Luxury garden room to your house, whether for personal or corporate usage, is a fantastic investment for any homeowner. It's a versatile room that may be used for a variety of functions and will increase the value of your home. Look no farther than OffPOD Luxury Garden Rooms if you're searching for a cost-effective, versatile, and private living place.

    ReplyDelete