Once the membrane was up, I started on the stud work.
To get the correct widths, I cut a sheet of Celotex in two lengthways, creating a 600mm width (or near enough to 600mm as the sheets are ever so slightly smaller than that), and basically used it as a guide as to the distance between battens.
Once the vertical battens were in place, I placed a single noggin across the middle of each.
The same was done for the back wall, the only difference being that smaller gaps were used between the vertical supports.
For the left hand wall, I opted to use two sets of noggins as this wall will likely have a cupboard on the wall, in addition to monitors mounted on it. Because of this, I've basically strengthened a few parts of it to allow for heavy loads to be supported.
I've opted not to add the insulation to this wall just yet as the electrics need to be added. I've also not yet sealed the insulation in place yet as I'm waiting for some more silver foil tape to be delivered (damn you eBay!).
Once the walls are sealed up, I'll get the right and back wall covered in plasterboard.
At this point you may notice I'v not talked about the 'front' wall (I.E the wall with the door and window). I had a bit of a problem with this one. The door and window that came with the shed have a 1.5cm frame built into them. The floor bearer does not. Meaning that the roof bearer is 1.5cm out. So I basically need to add a 1.5cm piece of wood across the top, to support the plasterboard. I've actually got a ton of spares from the shed build so hopefully I can find something half decent to use for this. Once that's done I can get that wall insulated and boarded up. Thankfully there will be no major weight load on this wall, just plasterboard, otherwise it could have cause a potentially annoying problem resulting in an odd shaped wall.
Finally, taking the idea from someone else who is currently converting a shed (whom I met via the DiyNot.com forums), I've decided to add a 'lessons learnt' section to each post, basically saying what I screwed up or would do differently next time, so here it is:
- Never underestimate the amount of wood and screws you'll need. I did three separate trips back to Wickes to get more supplies!
- A staple gun is very helpful when putting up a breathable membrane. You still need to seal it to the wall with a waterproof tape (I opted for duct tape) but it helps hold it in place while you get it all lined up.
- Cutting Celotex is a pain. If using a saw, get one with extremely fine teeth. I found a kitchen knife (The kind they use in Subway to cut sandwiches - very sharp!) to generate zero dust, compared to a saw, which got it everywhere!
The full set of photos so far can be found on the Flickr Page.
The end does seem to be in sight. The main big jobs remaining as of this post are:
- Seal the insulation on the right and rear wall
- Sort out the 1.5cm gap on the front wall, and add insulation
- Plasterboard over the front, right and back wall
- Get the electrics fitted on the left wall
- Insulate (and seal) the left wall
- Plasterboard the right wall
- Skim over the plasterboard gaps
- Paint the room
- Add the flooring
- Add a skirting board
- Move in!
Actually, when you put it into a list, there is still a hell of a lot to get done. My feeling is that once the electrics are in place I'll be finished in no time. However while I'm waiting for the electrics to be done, I can still get the three other walls finished.
One thing I also want to do at a later stage is add a seal around the roof. I noticed that the roof edging boards do have a very tiny gap, meaning water can trickle under them. It would never get into the shed as its on the overlap, however I've bought a bitumen sealant that is designed to fill gaps around fascias. I'll likely also add some extra sealant on the joins of the roof felt just to make me feel that bit happier about it being water tight.